Thursday, May 28, 2015

As a Former Little Girl & Teenager, I Object.

Modesty, purity, dignity, parenting, grandparenting. Eyes wide open here. My husband says that I'm more 'for' the boys than I am the girls. I suppose there is some truth to that because I was a complete failure as a young girl and teenager and adult.

Total. Complete. Failure. Eyes wide SHUT.

This is probably why I'm harder on our girls. If girls made better decisions about their close friends and boys when they're young, they would likely continue to be great decision makers when they are older. The rule of thumb of boys is WAIT WAIT WAIT. And then WAIT some more. And when it comes to a girl's close friends, look at their lives and mistakes before you trust them. I've had more heartbreak from a 'friend' that I trusted; right or wrong, girls tend to trust friends more than family.

As a former little girl, I remember what my dad taught me by example; date has to meet Dad, get picked up at the front door, doors opened for us, respect. But in my case, that all slipped away when I went to live with my mom. How ironic, I know. But she taught me nothing; her example was the love of a man's money, not his ability to love and protect and respect forever in the covenant of marriage.

Then, when our girls, or even all girls in general, make one bad decision after another, it's angering. I see them making the same mistakes I made, doing stupid things. I wasted so much of my life trusting bad men and bad friends; seeing them do the same is like it's happening to me all over again. I hate that feeling of helplessness, I hate that for them. I know where it will lead.

Perhaps I put up with more from the boys because I'm trying to teach them not to do what men did to me and other women I've known. I want them to grow up to be fabulous husbands and fathers that their girls can depend on for her entire life.

I love all of the kids and grandkids but I don't have much patience for moral mistakes, sin. It'll shorten their lives rather than give them the abundant life promised if we follow Christ. My life changed after I met Jesus. He showed me that I am fearfully and wonderfully made, in His image, part of His plan, and has my life in the very palm of His hand.

Girls: If I can tell you one thing, I would tell you all to stay off of social media. All of it. I cannot imagine how messed up our teen years would have been with REAL TIME bullying and men looking for everything other than 'forever'. Be very wary of temptation, it is not from God and will not love you back.

Boys: Stop it now. Seriously. If you can't be her 'forever', then let her go so her 'forever' can find her.

As a former little girl, teenager, friend - I OBJECT to inappropriate relationships and disrespect of ourselves and our girls.

Better women make better men.


No comments:

Post a Comment