Saturday, August 8, 2015

It May be Summer, but Winter's coming.

It's nearly harvest time. Fruit trees are heavy with their sweet burden, soon the fields will be orange with pumpkins and other Autumn goodness. Crickets and cicadas are wonderfully loud. The days are just a bit shorter. God is working, He is changing things bringing our attention to the bounty to come.

Is Winter coming? Yes. But why are we so disappointed of its coming? Have you ever noticed the bright blue of the winter sky? And when every leaf has fallen to protect the soil for next spring, the browns and bronze and copper all glinting against the blue sky is glorious! Add a puff of an occasional white cloud to bring it all together. Yes, I can smell the snow coming.

Yet the gloominess will overcome now and then, the snow will fall. But sprinkle a little of the Plan of God on it and you'll see the beauty I see. He is always working, He is always there. Even the snug blanket that God puts on the earth does not keep Him from us!

With God, everything does work together with a well thought out and orchestrated plan that we cannot imagine or understand. But there is comfort and joy in knowing He is still there, even in the Winter of our days.

Yes, I'll miss the green grass and warm summer rain. I may even lament it a bit. But knowing that a new bounty is a grasp away renews my Faith and my resolve.

I'll miss you, Summer, but the Autumn of my days are here and I am looking forward to the Winter.
"Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest." John 4:35

No comments:

Post a Comment